Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Legacy#21-Cover Process

Blue pencil on bond 8 1/2 x 12 inches
The thumbnail for this cover was approved with one change, that I move General Stazi's hand away from his mouth. So I did, and the change proved to be significant to the way the cover and Stazi would be read.
Graphite on Bristol board 8 1/2 x 12 inches
When I finished the pencils and sent them in, my editor, Randy Stradley informed me that the drawing really didn't look like Stazi. I followed the original design of the alien species known as the Duro and forgot that, just like humans, they could come in all shapes and sizes. This project was a reminder to me to keep loose, and that sticking too close to the standard designs of any license could result in change requests.
Graphite on bristol board 5 x 7 1/2 inches
Here is the head remodeled after artist Colin Wilson's design of Stazi in Legacy, which is what I should have done from the start. Oh well :) I pasted the new head on the body in Photoshop, and then it was ready to paint!
Photoshop 8 1/2 x 12 inches
The cover was painted and finished in Photoshop.

2 comments:

Alberto Di Francisco said...

Mr. Weathley: regards! I ´m Alberto, from Argentina (i don´t speak inglish, sorry!). Sincerelly: terrible art, is wonderfull...! the shadows and ligths, the reallity of your draws, the details...i have no words.
Invite you to watch mi Blog:
http://albertodifrancisco.blogspot.com
Regards.

Alberto

Doug said...

Thank you very much Alberto!

Your English is fantastic, I know very little Castilian, Spanish, so I really appreciate it.

I except your invitation, and I look forward to reading your blog!